List:       libusb-devel
Subject:    Re: [Libusb-devel] Make async libusb API backend specific?
From:       Orin Eman <orin.eman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-01-29 21:49:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:

> Orin Eman wrote:
> > > we need to hear how actual developers out there would prefer us
> > > to handle async on Windows
> >
> > In a nutshell, the same way WinUSB does it, which is pretty much
> > the same as regular overlapped IO on Windows.
>
> In that case, libusb would not offer a portable API. The API would
> differ depending on which platform the program is built for, thus
> pushing an extra portability issue onto the application - when in
> fact that's something we would like to solve within libusb.
>
> It would be nice to avoid it - but maybe it's just not possible?

 Actually, the libusb async API is quite similar to Windows overlapped IO
already and should work fine under Windows.  I don't think a Windows
programmer is going to find it much different to use than the WinUSB
interface.

> And there is of course a point in offering familiar APIs and
> workflows for each platform.

Indeed.  I don't think a Windows programmer is going to be messing with
poll() to be sure.

Orin.