List:       libressl
Subject:    Hard Coded Config Path in Windows variant
From:       Russell Haley <russ.haley () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-02-18 22:05:18

Hi there,

I am using libressl to generate a csr manually on a windows machine
through powershell. I recieved an error:

c:\> f:\libressl\openssl.exe req  -out F:\bobbylu\bobbylu.csr -new
-newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout F:\bobbylu\local.key

WARNING: can't open config file: /usr/local/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf
Unable to load config info from /usr/local/etc/ssl/openssl.cnf

after some examination, I created a default file from
http://web.mit.edu/crypto/openssl.cnf
and then specified the command line using -config:

f:\libressl\openssl.exe req  -out F:\bobbylu\bobbylu.csr -new -newkey
rsa:2048 -nodes -keyout F:\bobbylu\local.key -config
f:\libressl\openssl.cnf

which worked. I tried to follow current instructions to set the
environment variable that didn't work. In order to set the
OPENSSL_CONF variable from powershell use:

$env:OPENSSL_CONF = "<yourpathinquotes>"

It may be worthwhile changing the default path in the windows install
to be the current directory or the executable path and include a
README for the powershell stuff. Let me know if you want me to help
out.

Russ