List:       libnet
Subject:    Re: feature suggestion: defining answers
From:       mike schiffman <mike () infonexus ! com>
Date:       2002-08-26 4:13:54

To respond to this 3 weeks later, this sort of dovetails very nicely into an
idea I've been kicking around for a new toolkit (component) built on top of
libnet, libpcap, and libdnet to do all sorts of high-level low-level stuff...
The idea you're talking about, is along the lines (I think) of an idea I've got
for functionality called "Network Contigency"...  Basically, given situation X, if \
response Y is seen, do Z.  With libnet and libpcap and some callback functions, this \
can be implemented rather elegantly.  I have some other ideas for this component as \
well, when I get some time, I'll throw something  together...

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 10:10:47PM +0200, Frédéric Raynal wrote:

> 	Re
>

> Sometimes, one can be interested in both a packet and its answer.
> It could be great to have a mechanism that allows, according to a
> packet, to get its answer or at least to detect that the answer has
> reached the box.
>
> I was thinking about that when I heard of libevent
> (http://www.monkey.org/~provos/libevent/) made by N. Provos:
>
> "The libevent API provides a mechanism to execute a callback function
> when a specific event occurs on a file descriptor or after a timeout
> has been reached."
>
> I was thinking that such feature based on packets reception could be
> very interresting and would therefor allow to build complex systems
> rather easily.
>
> My last 2c.
>
> This was mail 3/3 of my spam. I won't bother you anymore ... for
> tonight: it seems I may need to sleep ;-)
>
> --
> Frederic RAYNAL, Ph.D.
> http://minimum.inria.fr/~raynal
> Chief Editor of M.I.S.C.
> Multi-Systems & Internet Security Cookbook

Network packets at bargain basement rates -- ask me how.