List:       libnet
Subject:    libnet_arena patch (beta)
From:       Frédéric_Raynal <frederic.raynal () inria ! fr>
Date:       2002-08-01 18:35:31

Hi everybody,

As announced, I worked on the patch for arena support. I only testd it
with a Linux 2.4 kernel.

The arena is an (hopefully) easy way to handle multiple packets in a
single process with libnet.

What does the patch provides ?

  - src/libnet_arena.c: all internals and externals things used to
    handle the arena

  - doc/arena.txt: a small documentation about the arena (won't
    probably have any reward for my English ;-)

  - sample/raw_arena_icmp_echo.c: a small example taken from the
    sample/Unported directory. It sends lots of icmp echo in one shot.

Other modifications are made in header files or Makefile.am

What is still to do ?

  - testing !!! That is why I drop the patch here while Mike is on
    vacation^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H attending at Black Hat until
    Sunday.
    Note that it is still a beta version. It shouldn't  break anything
    if you install the patch ;-)
    Tests I have performed with the small provided example are good,
    but I'm sure you will find tricky things.

  - packets are not directly saved in the arena. This is in fact the
    libnet context pointer which is. To be able to recognize them, I
    introduced a label which goes with each context pointer. As I see
    it, this label should go directly in libnet_t structure since it is
    related to context and not to arena.
    This have not been done because it requests to modify several
    functions in other parts of libnet, which is not a good idea as long
    as functionalities have not been tested and freezed.
    Anyway, from a user point of view, you can use this feature.

This was mail 1/3 of my spam.

--
Frederic RAYNAL, Ph.D.
http://minimum.inria.fr/~raynal

["libnet_arena.patch.gz" (application/x-gzip)]