List:       lenya-dev
Subject:    Re: SSL encryption for usecases, inheriting to sub-pages
From:       Jörn_Nettingsmeier <nettings () apache ! org>
Date:       2008-02-21 21:47:46

Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> virtually every proxy setup redirects the login usecase to https:
>
>     # Redirect the login usecase to https
>     RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)lenya\.usecase=ac\.login(.*)
>     RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://%{SERVER_NAME}/$1 [R,L]
>
> Maybe it would make sense to let Lenya do this?
>
>   <usecase id="ac.login" ssl="true">
>     <role id="session" method="grant"/>
>   </usecase>

nice idea in principle, but...

> Another question is if requiring SSL should (optionally?) be inherited
> to sub-pages. I wanted to configure the docu publication to require SSL
> for all authoring+archive+transh pages, but ATM this would mean to click
> the SSL checkbox manually for every single page. IMO it would be nice if
> we could enable SSL for complete areas.

hmm. it's quite trivial to force ssl for a whole area with a rewrite
rule. and since ssl and proxies are somewhat intertwined, why not leave
it at that rather than introduce new complication?

i would be ok with a usecase that does recursive ssl enabling by
actually checking the ssl flag of every subpage (sort of an auto-click
:), but we should not introduce inheritance and complicated lookup
mechanisms.
there's the potentially dangerous situation when a page that should have
ssl (and was in an ssl subtree) gets moved out of it and loses ssl
protection - too many subtle pitfalls imho.

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier