List:       leaf-user
Subject:    Re: [leaf-user] Soekris replacement revisted
From:       "Robert K Coffman Jr. -Info From Data Corp." <bcoffman () infofromdata ! com>
Date:       2019-03-14 17:15:12

In the same vein as the Qotom boxes (and inspired by that exercise) I
acquired a Protectli FW4B through Amazon.  My default Leaf version
worked fine on it, but ended up loading ESXi (initially 6.7, but I've
since downgraded it to 5.5) and I'm running three Leaf instances on it.
Without an external data store, or for anything that requires a lot of
processing power, I wouldn't recommend this configuration, but for two
firewalls and a utility Leaf VM and no I/O to the flash except at boot
time or when I update the Leaf config, it has thus far worked without
issue.  For ESXi 5.5, I did have to load a VIB to allow it to recognize
the SATA controller.

Like the devices Mr. Wegner has been using, it is basically a low
powered PC snapped into a heat sink that acts as the case, with 4 Intel
NICs.

Like Mr. Wegner, my main concern is durability/reliability.

- Bob