List:       leaf-user
Subject:    [leaf-user] Fwd:  webmin default password?
From:       Timothy Wegner <tim () tswegner ! net>
Date:       2018-02-10 17:54:25

Hi kp,

My real goal is to get webconf working with my production Leaf router,
which it hasn't since the web server was changed to lighttpd. But I'm not
asking for help with that because the problem is probably specific to my
installation, which has been updated numerous times by copying  the old
leaf.cfg and configdb.lrp. Repeated updates using this method likely have
added some cruft.

Here is what I did. Figured I should go back to the default configuration.
Using LEAF Bering-uClibc 6.1.2-rc1 Rev 1 uClibc 1.0.25 on a Soekris net6501
configured as a three interface device with a local network and a dmz.

1. ssh into the router, mount /dev/sda1, and copy the original default
leaf.cfg and configdb.lrp over the working versions. Reboot.

2. On the local network, point browser to 192.168.1.254

3. Login screen comes up. Fill in userid admin and click ok or press enter.
User id field clears and login screen comes back; doesn't log in.

4. Login to leaf box via serial port. Set new leaf password.

5. ssh into leaf box to root@192.168.1.254

6. edit /var/webconf/www/.htpasswd, change "admin:" to "admin:<hashed
password>"

7. Repeat steps 2. and 3., except don't use blank password, use password
corresponding to the hash added to .htpasswd. Webconf comes up and works
fine.

For good measure I used lrcg to change lighttpd port from 80 to 8080, and
edit the shorewall rules to match, because this is what I will have to do
with my production leaf (running a webserver on dmz using port 80, so can't
use 80 for webconf). Webconf comes up fine using port 8080.

The main puzzle here is why I can't use a blank password to log into
webconf with the default leaf configuration. However the workaround of
manually adding a password to .htpasswd works fine, so not a problem for me.

Since I have webconf working with the (almost) default configuration, I
need to manually edit each working package incrementally until I find what
is breaking webconf.

Thanks,

Tim