List:       leaf-user
Subject:    Re: [leaf-user] Change the order of eth0,1 etc
From:       "groups, freeman" <freeman.groups () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-03-31 11:49:56

I think I found my issue (BTW I'm 4.2 beta 1).

I have leading whitespace for many of my /etc/modules entries, so those
weren't being loaded via the modutils script because it filters for only
lines whose first char is alphanum:
> grep ^[a-z0-9A-Z] /etc/modules |

presumably to omit comment lines ... but it's a tad too restrictive for
me so I used instead:
 > grep -vE "^[[:space:]]*(#|$)" /etc/modules |

to omit both comment lines and empty lines. (FWIW there's a second
instance of the problematic-for-me grep filter in that modutils file.)

In my case the netcard drivers were being loaded by the auto-loader
portion of modutils, and in the same order as I had in my modules file
so I hadn't noticed.

I also discovered that I had a typo in my modutils file for one of my
drivers. In light of this I'd put in an RFE for:
- when parsing of the /etc/modules file and an module file cannot be
found (or gives an error), it puts out an error msg to the console
(I know that if an entry in /etc/modules does not exist as a file that
no err msg is output.)

(I'd also put in an RFE for more output from the modutils file as it
does its work - could it indicate when it's doing each of the 3 internal
steps of module loading:
- parsing /etc/modules,
- walking /etc/modules.d,
- finally, autoloading
so the user can see when exactly modules are being loaded? That would
probably help tremendously with diagnosing module-loading issues.)

Myself, I have the section messages (within modutils) output at all
times since diag output is pretty 'cheap' to implement, but it could
instead be set to only show this info if $VERBOSE is true.

Cheers & thanks for LEAF!