List:       leaf-user
Subject:    Re: [leaf-user] HighPoint RocketRAID 174x
From:       Charles Steinkuehler <charles () steinkuehler ! net>
Date:       2007-12-05 21:58:05

Adam Niedzwiedzki wrote:
<snip>
> Invaild argument happens when I try and mount the /dev/sbd1 with out
> specifying the filesystem type.
>
> nas# fdisk /dev/sdb
>
> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 121583.
> There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
> and could in certain setups cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.0 GB, 1000056291328 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121583 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1               1      121583   976615416   83  Linux
>
> Seems to work fine...

Hint: Try "fdisk -l /dev/sdb" as a short-cut.

> I've been told that non of the "nix" os's ship with a module for this card,
> so I can't do a live boot, as I need to compile the module for the card.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but assuming the RAID card
comes with BIOS support, you should be able to boot directly from the
RAID using an appropriate initrd containing the RAID driver module using
the bootloader of your choice (ie: lilo, grub, syslinux, etc).

> I'm not sure where to go from here, I don't really want to run up a windows
> box just to act as a NAS :(

Um...what exactly is the problem?

Your RAID array is showing up as /dev/sdb.  Since you didn't indicate
you created any other RAID devices on the card, the additional devices
(which the driver seems to allocate by default) are not actually there.

The array you *HAVE* defined seems to show up as expected in fdisk, and
it sounds like it mounts if you pass the required filesystem type flag.

So...in exactly what way are things broken?

If you're just worried about the errors reported for the non-existent
arrays, you may be able to pass a parameter when loading the module to
make these go away...a quick glance through the code found "int
osm_max_targets = 32;" in config.c, which looks like it's causing the
driver to behave like it's talking to 32 "drives".  Reducing this might
clean up the 'garbage' you're seeing.

- --
Charles Steinkuehler
charles@steinkuehler.net