List:       leaf-user
Subject:    Re: [leaf-user] Madwifi drivers for Bering uClibc 2.2.3
From:       E.Spakman () inter ! nl ! net
Date:       2005-09-16 7:10:47

Hello Jeremy,

> I have put together a Bering uClibc 2.2.3 router.  I have it working just
>  the way I want now except I would also like to add a wireless NIC to
> serve as an AP.  I am using a D Link DWL-G520M which has an Atheros
> chipset.  As I started down this road I realize I have more questions than
> I have answers
> so I'm spending a lot of time learning.  Anyhow, I would like to get the
> madwifi drivers to work with my Bering router.
>
> #1 I found some older drivers and tried to use them without much success.
> used the drivers from this post-
>
> From: Pavel Dusanek <dush@no...>
> bering-uclibc madwifi driver 2004-12-18 05:26
> I had problem to get madwifi working under bering-uclibc some time ago.
> Then I"ve solved it and now I see some people may also need it so I"ve
> made it publicly available at my web server:
>
> http://dush.nofuture.cz/linux/bering-uclibc/madwifi/
>

> The output of dmesg looks like-
>

> wlan: 0.8.4.4 (EXPERIMENTAL)
> ath_hal: 0.9.12.14 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212)
> ath_rate_onoe: 1.0
> ath_pci: 0.9.4.11 (EXPERIMENTAL)
> ath_pci: No devices found, driver not installed.
>

> I've checked with the madwifi users list and they suggest my drivers are
> rather old and should be updated.
>
> #2 Someone from the madwifi list suggested this-

> does does Bering even support this command?  I don't think so because it
> is a limited distro but I could be wrong.

The whole modprobe/kmod/depmod system is much to big for Bering-uClibc, it
is not supported. The dependencies can be found by looking at
"modules.dep" after the kernel modules are compiled, this is the same as
modprobe would do.

> #3 Someone else suggested-

> it may be that the card isn't properly inserted into the PCI slot.
>
> again, is this a supported command?

Nope, lspci is also not an available command. But it is possible to create
a package with the lspci tools.

> #4 If I can compile my own drivers what distro do I need to use?  I have
> read Bering is heavily based in Debian but some items were also borrowed
> from Red Hat.

It doesn't matter what distro you use, the only thing important is that
the gcc version is the same as the kernel is compiled with. In the case of
Bering uClibc 2.2.3 this is gcc-2.95.

> #5 Whatever distro is used must have the same kernel version 2.4 correct?

For compiling a kernel this is not important, only the gcc version
matters. Ofcourse you must be sure that whith compiling the madwifi
drivers they point to the correct kernel tree (the same version as used
with BU 2.2.3, not the one from your own distro). So you must have a
correct kernel source tree and change the madwifi Makefile to look at that
one.

> #6 I see there is a madwifi.lrp in testing.  It looks like this only
> contains wireless tools and commands.  Am I correct?  The lrp package I
> found in #1 already contained several driver (.o) files.  It would seem
> the two packages though called the same thing do not have the same
> functionality.

Yes, the ("official") madwifi package only contains the debug userspace
tools.
In the kernel 2.4.31 tarball for Bering-uClibc 2.3 (rc1) the latest
madwifi modules are included. But those are not compatible with the older
kernel used in Bering-uClibc 2.2.3 unfortuanatly.

> #7 Does anyone have drivers alread compiled for this version that are
> newer than what I have currently?
>
> #8 Are there some different things I should try to see if I can make the
> current drivers work?  I read through many mail archives but the solutions
>  seemed to relate to pcmcia cards and mine is pci.

I hope someone with more madwifi experience can help you...

> I know this is a lot of questions.  I am hopeful someone is very involved
>  and knowledgeable in both areas.  I am learning SOOO much as I go but I
> would love it if someone can help speed up the learning curve.  Many many
>  thanks in advance.

Eric