List:       leaf-user
Subject:    RE: [leaf-user] Also need driver for Intel Pro 1000 MT
From:       "Peter Mueller" <pmueller () sidestep ! com>
Date:       2005-06-15 21:12:31

> Thanks, Erich.
> I did try the e1000 driver that came with bering 1.2 CD, but
> it did not work. Yes, I will have one of my lab techs do this
> to make sure it works... but could be a lab exercise for
> students as well.
>
> Both the intel and realtek are source tar gz's so we will
> compile on a 2.4.x system.

This is because Bering 1.2 has an old driver and Intel changed the chipset
enough to require a new version of the driver to come out.  The latest kernel
source or (better) Intel source will work fine.  Bering uClibC will also work
by default if you use later versions.

Note that if you are wanting to use a lot of that gigabit capability be sure
to use a 64-bit slot and the NAPI variant of the driver.  It might be easiest
to ask the uClibC 'krew' to do the NAPI part for you.  Or of course the
student route :).

Regards,