List:       leaf-user
Subject:    Re: [leaf-user] DSL troubleshooting.....
From:       "John Mullan" <JMullan () OLGC ! CA>
Date:       2003-11-25 19:33:48

Hmmm.  Physical line problems??

Perhaps this should have been my first line of attack :-(  since it seemed
to happen suddenly.

I will go around and make sure nobody fiddled with any of the filters!  Of
course, this will have to wait until I get home in an hour or two.

As one of my tech teachers used to say "NEVER OVERLOOK THE OBVIOUS".

                                                                                      \

                      Ray Olszewski                                                   \

                      <ray@comarre.com>                 To:       \
                leaf-user@lists.sourceforge.net                                       \

                      Sent by:                          cc:                           \

                      leaf-user-admin@lists.sour        Subject:  Re: [leaf-user] DSL \
                troubleshooting.....
                      ceforge.net                                                     \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

                      11/25/2003 13:58                                                \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

At 01:30 PM 11/25/2003 -0500, John Mullan wrote:

> OK.  My evidence for 'loses sync': the lights labeled DSL and ATM on the
> modem go out.  Flash for a while, then come back on.

Ok. Those labels don't match the lights on either of my DSL modems, but
your interpretation of them sounds right. Since you use PPPoE, you actually

have multiple "layer 2" layers, each encapsulated in another. But these
lights seem to imply either a layer-1 (physical layer) failure of some sort

or a failure of the lowest layer 2 (whatever native protocol the DSL
circuit itself uses, something that will encapsulate the Ethernet frames on

the far side of the DSL modem and be invisible to your router).

> I can access any IP or URL that exists within the internal network.  IE; a
> web server exists on host WWW (192.168.1.128) and I can access it via
> http://www or http://192.168.1.128

This would be true whatever the source of the proboem is.

> However, I cannot access http://www.google.com or others.  If the modem is
> 'synced up', attempting to access an external page may start to load, but
> the lights again go out on the modem and the page is not displayed.

If the page "may start to load", then any DNS requests have been processed
successfully. This implies that the problem is not specifically with DNS.

> DSL is PPPoE.  I don't think I can be too much more specific on the DNS
> setup except standard DNSCache setup on the Bering box (ie; as suggested
> when setting up PPPoE).  The Win2K machine is set as DNS server but to
> forward unresolved requests to the Bering box.  The Bering box therefore,
> believe, will be supplied DNS info from the ISP (Sympatico, by the way).

No need for more detail here, i think.

> Does this clarify?

Mostly. Your earlier message said, as I read it, that you had sync problems

("Ping works the same way") if you ping by FQN but not if you ping by IP
address. Based on the added information you just supplied about http
problems, I suspect it would be worth knowing more about other services
(including ping) and how they react. For example ...

1. Can you connect to an offsite Web page by IP address?

2. Can you do a traceroute by (a) FQN and (b) IP address?

More generally, what *can* you do with any reliability over this
connection? More and more, this sounds like a line problem ... either a
physical problem with the line or the DSL modem, or something at the ISP
end ... but one that only manifests itself when you use more than a trivial

amount of bandwidth. That is, George's initial guess appears to have been
on target (except perhaps for the pat that associates the problem with port

80).

[old stuff deleted]

KNOW YOUR LIMIT, PLAY WITHIN IT!
ONTARIO PROBLEM GAMBLING HELPLINE           1 888 230-3505

DÉPASSER SES LIMITES, CE N'EST PLUS DU JEU.
LA LIGNE ONTARIENNE D'AIDE SUR LE JEU PROBLÉMATIQUE    1 888 230-3505