List:       leaf-user
Subject:    [leaf-user] Vlan Acces link (vlan.lrp + bridge.lrp
From:       Jose Luis Abuelo Sebio <luisabuelo2 () yahoo ! es>
Date:       2003-06-29 23:34:18

Hi everyone,

 I am trying to set a vlan but using vlan-unaware
machines ( PC1, PC2,PC3 and PC4 as you can see in the
picture).

 Here the bridge is the one to do the tagging of the
frames and untag them to send them to the correct
machine (Because the vlan-unaware machines dont tag
their frames, as I have readed in some tutorials about
vlans). I am using the packages vlan.lrp and
bridge.lrp to configure the bridges as it follows:

  -----                             -----
  -PC1-                             -PC2-
  -----                             -----
    -                                 -
    - eth0                    eth0    -
    - 192.168.1.1        192.168.1.2  -
    -                                 -
    -  ---------     -----------------
               -     -
        eth1.10-     - eth2.20
            ------------------
            -     br0        -
            ------------------
                   - eth0
                   -
                   -
                   -
                   -
                   - eth0
            ------------------
            -     br1        -
            ------------------
         eth1.10 -   - eth2.20
                 -   -
                 -   -
       -----------   --------------------
       -                                -
       -                                -
  eth0 192.168.1.3         eth0 192.168.1.4
       -                                -
      -----                           -----
      -PC3-                           -PC4-
      -----                           -----

So following this picture, PC2 would see PC4 and PC1
would see PC3 and the bridges would be in charge of
tagging and untagging the frames, the vlan-unaware
machines would not have to know about the tagging,
right, I think this is the Idea of the vlan access
link.

   So to get this, I have configured the bridges this
way:

 first I have created the vlans

vconfig add eth1 10
vconfig add eth2 20

then I set them up

ifconfig eth1.10 up
ifconfig eth2.20 up

so then I have configured the bridge

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 eth1.10
brctl addif br0 eth2.20

and set it up

ifconfig br0 up

  As far as I know about vlans and bridging PC2 would
have to be able to comunicate with PC4 and PC1 with
PC3, but they don´t.

 Is it maybe because the kernel doesn´t support vlan
access link, and PC1,PC2,PC3 and PC4 must be
vlan-aware machines to tag the frames? (as it is
possible in CISCO machines)

 If this bridge configuration to get a vlan access
link is wrong, as I think it is because it doesn´t
work, what do I have to change to get a vlan access
link in my bridges so  PC1, PC2, PC3 and PC4 could be
vlan-unaware machines and don´t worry about tagging?

 Thank you for your help, I will be checking my mail
to see if any of you can help me out with this.

 bye!!