List:       leaf-devel
Subject:    Re: [leaf-devel] LEAF Upgrade
From:       kp kirchdoerfer <kapeka () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2015-02-28 17:40:35

Hi Erich;

Sounds like an interesting and useful task.

Am Mittwoch, 25. Februar 2015, 12:56:15 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi Folks
>
> I am investigating into an upgrade function for LEAF, I did not grok the
> stuff Andrew wrote, so I am looking for easy and easily understandable
> ways to get there.
>
> A few questions pop up which I have not been able to find an easy
> aproach (probably too lazy)
>
> - How to access the actual running release (or it's release family like
> 5.x.x (beta n)) The kernel version which can be easily retrieved IMHO is
> insufficient)

How about /var/lib/lrpkg/initrd.version?

> - How can we identify the latest stable release. A fixed URL might
> suffice but it would be easier to use a TXT DNS record for this
> information. Unfortunately there appears to be no easy way to retrieve
> anything but A records with the current tools on LEAF.

An alternative could be using git (tags).
I try to provide packages for each upgrade in the packages repository - could
be improved though.

> - How to determine compatibility between the running release and the
> latest stable release
>
> - Can we identify platform and release independent packages?

> I am currently using an internal web site to deliver the packages to my
> routers as they typically don't have sufficient storage for the whole
> package repository. It would be nice to enhance the files section at
> sourceforge to take over this task (at the same time old and obsolete
> links could be cleaned up)

You may have a look into
leaf.zetam.org

I worked with Yves recently to provide a new and working Packages page there,
no further decisions made about mocing webpages permamently - any input will
be welcome.

With the exception of kernels and lwp Packages, Packages are downloadable from
SF git packages repository. Could be improved if it fits your needs.

kp