List:       leaf-devel
Subject:    Re: [leaf-devel] BuC next - Are we agreed that 'next' will be released as Bering-uClibc 5.x ?
From:       KP Kirchdoerfer <kapeka () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2012-03-19 19:02:26

Hi;

just a few words about my reasons to talk about 5.x in trac.

'next' is always good for new branch to develop the forthcoming major
version, but what will call the version after 'next', if "next" shoud be
the stable name? "Overnext"? This is meaningless IMHO :)

Another option is choose a completly new name, but I've been there
before and it was pretty useless, there was no convincing idea, and
spending a few evenings of our spare time just to find or not to find a
new name is wasted time.

Last but not least - we do have a small community, but that is used to
the name after ten yrs. and we clearly outlined our version numbering on
our webpage. 5.0 is still inline with both.

Am 19.03.2012 19:36, schrieb davidMbrooke:
> Hi all,
>
> I plan to start making changes to the Wiki pages for 'next', adding info
> on cross-compiling and giving some more thought as to which pages are
> common to all Bering-uClibc versions (maybe the Hints and Tips on Git
> usage, for example?) and which are version-specific.
>
> Before I create more pages I'd like us to agree how we plan to identify
> 'next' when it finally gets released. I see that kp has started
> referring to 5.0 in Trac, which is OK by me. I presume that 'next' was
> only ever intended to be a "working title".
>
> Should I change the existing 'next' Wiki pages to reflect a BuC 5.x
> naming convention (easily accomplished with the "move" facility in
> MediaWiki, which makes the old name redirect to the new name) and create
> new pages with 5.x names?

You have my vote.

kp