List:       leaf-devel
Subject:    Re: [leaf-devel] Oops
From:       "Eric Spakman" <E.Spakman () inter ! nl ! net>
Date:       2007-01-06 23:03:48

Hi Paul,

> As I mentioned a few days ago, I've, err, "borrowed", yeah, that's the
> word, Bering uClibc as a base for a boot floppy I need to install my LFS
> installation on new boxes from a CD or file server.  So I've hacked it a
> bit to simplify things I didn't need (self-maintainability, etc.), and
> forgive me if I mis-remember a few file names.  I don't think my hacking
> caused the problem I'm reporting.
>
> Take a look at /var/lib/lrp/root.blk.mk.  At the bottom you're going to
> link to /dev/scd0 ?  Where did you do a makedevs to create /dev/scd* ? And
> that means a few mods in root.dev.own & root.dev.mod (555 for CD?). But
> then, why scd*?  The sr_mod.o module for SCSI CDROM support mentions "sr"
> on the console when disks are probed.  I added a makedevs for sr[,1,2,3],
> and linked /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr, and it works.  Maybe the module would
> work with scd* too, I don't know.

I'm not sure about that. To my knowledge SCSI disks devices have major
number 8 and are called sd*, SCSI CD-rom devices have major number 11 and
are called scd*. The sr* prefix has been deprecated.

Anyway, the scd devices don't exist so should be added to root.blk.mk. I
think permission 660 is ok for CD and root.disk should by ok for
owner/group.

Thanks for finding that bug!

> p.s. if there's any interest in this I can contribute my initrd.
>
> Paul Rogers  (paul.rogers@juno.com)
> http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/
> http://www.geocities.com/paulgrogers/
> Rogers' Second Law: "Everything you do communicates."
> (I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL
> :-)

Eric