List:       leaf-devel
Subject:    [leaf-devel] VLAN with vlan.lrp and bridge.lrp
From:       Jose Luis Abuelo Sebio <luisabuelo2 () yahoo ! es>
Date:       2003-06-21 23:15:30

Hi, good morning:

 I am having some problems trying to set a vlan with
the Bering rc4 distribution. I going to explain what I
did it and how, to see if anyone can find the problem
or the mistake, because I think I am following the
documentation pretty good.

  Here, this is a draw of what I am trying to set

  -------
  - PC1 -
  -------
     - eth0 IP 192.168.1.123
     -
     -
     - eth1 IP 192.168.1.1
  ------------ eth2 192.168.2.1         -------
  - Bridge A - -------------------------- PC3 -
  ------------                          -------
     - eth0 IP 10.0.1.1           eth0 IP 192.168.2.3
     -
     -
     - eth0 IP 10.0.1.2
  ------------ eth2 192.168.2.2         -------
  - Bridge B ---------------------------- PC4 -
  ------------                          -------
     - eth1 IP 192.168.1.2        eth0 IP 192.168.2.4
     -
     -
     - eth0 IP 192.168.1.129
  -------
  - PC2 -
  -------

 BridgeA and BridgeB are running under Bering rc4 V1.2
 with vlan.lrp bridge.lrp and 8021q.o  and bridge.o

 First I am gonna describe the situation of the
project. I have to computers, we will call them
BridgeA and BridgeB, which I wanna run as bridges.
Each computer has 3 Ethernet NICs. To apply vlan
support to the bridgeA and bridgeB I install in each
one the package vlan.lrp (wich provides the command
vconfig) and the module 8021q.o. Them to support the
bridge funcionality I install the the bridge.lrp
package and the bridge.o module.

them in each of these computers I do this:

First I assign an IP address to each NIC
BridgeA
eth0 10.0.1.1
eth1 192.168.1.1
eth2 192.168.2.1

and I set them up with the command Ifconfig
Ifconfig eth0 up
Ifconfig eth1 up
Ifconfig eth2 up
(To do this I had to install netutils.lrp because ifup
didnīt seem to work)

so I did the same in bridgeB

eth0 10.0.1.2
eth1 192.168.1.2
eth2 192.168.2.2
and I set them up with ifconfig again.

So now in each of the briges I create the Vlans

vconfig add eth0 10
vconfig add eth0 20
vconfig add eth1 10
vconfig add eth2 20

so now I have the interfaces
eth0.10 eth0.20 eth1.10 and eth2.20
 so I set them up again with ifconfig like
ifconfig eth1.10 up

So now I only have to create the bridge

brctl addbr Orense
brctl addif Orense eth0.10
brctl addif Orense eth0.20
brctl addif Orense eth1.10
brctl addif Orense eth2.20

and I set the bridge up
Ifconfig Orense up

(as you can see I use the interfaces eth0 of each
bridge to connect them in a backbone between the two
machines)

so then conected to the eth1 of the bridgeA I have a
computer with a NIC that has an IP address
192.168.1.123 and conected to the eth1 of the bridgeB
have another NIC with 192.168.1.129.

As I see it has to work, doesnīt it? but If I do a
ping from 192.168.1.123 to 192.168.1.129 I canīt see
the other side. I only can reach the machine I am
conected to (because the IP address) but not using the
bridge and VLAN technology.

 It is the same for the PCīs in the VLAN ID 20 PC3 and
PC4.

Can anyone tell me why or what I did wrong?

It works if I do the bridge with the phisical
interfaces eth0,eth1,eth2
Bridge Orense
eth0, eht1 eth2

but the porpuse of this
project is using vlan and a bridge so this:
Bridge Orense
eth0.10, eth0.20, eth1.10, eth2.20
It doesnīt work

I donīt know what is wrong here.

Thankīs for your help, I will be checking my
mail to see if anyone has the answer to this.

Bye