List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] Re: Getting started: setting up an address book
From:       Jon Roberts <jon () jonanddeb ! net>
Date:       2007-02-25 5:20:09

Mark H. Wood wrote:
> So is there some way we could gather most of the players and hammer
> out a common model, then get them to all move to it?

Sometimes maybe we are most of the players. I usually feel vendors
create enough inferior, self-serving standards for one species.

My own open source work has centered around metadata descriptions for
how directory entries of different objectclasses, locations, and
characteristics should be handled. For convenience in development, I
encoded these in plain old java objects.

In this age of serialized data, I've long thought something that would
be useful for all directory tools may be an XML standard description of
how objects may be treated. My object descriptions are intentionally one
step away from this, like:

http://www.mentata.com/javadocs/examples/src-html/com/mentata/examples/mesh/term.html#line.16

However, it would be nice to create a rich, extensible standard to
support families of applications.

I'm unbelievably busy now, but starting June I'm planning to write a
DTD/Schema for what I want to call LDAP Metadata XML (partly because
that would be a recursive palindrome acronym). Then I'll convert my
framework to be a reference implementation. If you have any ideas along
these lines, this would be the place for that conversation I'd think.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com

---
You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [ldap@progressive-comp.com]