List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] Re: LDAP Usage Survey
From:       Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth () usit ! uio ! no>
Date:       2007-02-19 16:59:59

Adam Tauno Williams writes:
> > I'm gathering some real world info for a presentation for my local
> > LUG, and wondered if everyone would be so kind as to briefly describe
> > what they are currently using LDAP for in their organisation.

I haven't seen this posting you are quoting, but anyway here it is for
University of Oslo:

> I think in most places LDAP is used for very similar purposes.
>
> 1.) An authorization source; as well as some authentication for lame
> apps & clients that don't support things like Kerberos.  This includes
> being an NSS provider.

Yup.  Authentication, authorization attributes, also identity source
and other person info for the FEIDE system <http://www.feide.no/>,
which requires its member organizations to use LDAP for person info.

Not PAM/NSS yet, nor Kerberos, but will hopefully get there someday.

Also Radius passwords, which must be sent _to_ the Radius server with a
poor crypt - NT4 or something, argh.  Tight access controls on that
one...

Users can read but not write data.  Contents is regularly imported from
the user administration system.

> 2.) White pages

Yup.

> 3.) SMTP, DHCP, and DNS configuration backend

Not configuration (nor user prefs below), but we use LDAP as the mail
database and most of the requests to the LDAP server come from the mail
system.

> 4.) Group backend for various services like OpenNMS, Wildfire (XMPP) and
> RADIUS;  this is similar to #1.

Not sure what group means in this context.

--
Regards,
Hallvard

---