List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] Re: Openldap backup
From:       Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah () stanford ! edu>
Date:       2007-02-07 20:53:24

--On Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:52 PM -0500 Rajarshi Chaudhuri
<rajarshi@genesyslab.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm planning to make a daily backup of my openldap(2.3.19 used with bdb
> backend). There are couple of questions that I have -
>
> 1. If I take a backup using slapcat while slapd is running - is there a
> possiblity of some data loss or other inconsistency?

No.  Note that if a write to an entry comes in after slapcat has already
exported that entry, it will not be in the LDIF export.

> 2. Is there some other backup mechanism / backup tool recommended other
> than slapcat.

No.

> 3. If I can programmatically assure that no writes happen during my backup
> phase - then does it matter whether slapd is running or not?

No.

> 4. I'm going to do this in both Windows and Solaris environment - so any
> suggestions like I should use something specific based on the OS?

No.

> I would highly appreciate if my questions are effectively answered.

You should address your questions to openldap-software@openldap.org  when
they have to do with using OpenLDAP.

You should also consider upgrading to the current OpenLDAP release.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer