List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] different applications use mail attribute for different purpose
From:       张韡武 <zhangweiwu () realss ! com>
Date:       2006-10-12 1:07:11

Hello. Our ldap server serve many applications:
     1. it store all accounts that has access to our system, including
        email service (imap/smtp) and web service;
     2. it store all contact person that we need to look up

Due to our special business model half of our contacts have accounts,
thus we store them all together, with a special attribute indicate
whether a certain person has an account. In this case an account user's
mail attribute is used for many purposes:
     1. it is used by imap/smtp server to determine the email address of
        his email service we provided;
     2. it is used by contact management software to determine what
        email address to use to contact him;

If the account user wish to be contacted through other email addresses
(e.g. his wang@gmail.com address) and wish to preserve the email address
we gave him (as well as email services), it's impossible at this moment.

After having this problem for one year we think purpose 1 and purpose 2
should be using different attributes, and that's the only way seems to
solve the problem. So I am thinking defining a new attribute
'systemMail' and use it for purpose 1, for purpose 2 we still use mail
attribute.

e.g. for Mr Wang:

mail: wang@gmail.com
systemMail: wang@ourservice.com

And further we will adjust web service system, imap and smtp server to
recognise that systemMail is the attribute to look up in order to
provide him email service.

So far, so good. Before I start all these I'd like to again look for
good advices on this list.
     1. is there a general / commonly used solution for my case?
     2. is there a standard attribute in this case for systemMail?
        Defining my own and later conflict with another RFC is stupid.

Thank you very much in advance!

--
锐业软服(国内业务)  http://www.realss.cn
Real SoftService      http://www.realss.com