List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] Re: Authentication through openLDAP on NFS
From:       Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah () stanford ! edu>
Date:       2006-09-08 16:00:52

--On Friday, September 08, 2006 9:13 AM -0400 Adam Tauno Williams
<adam@morrison-ind.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 07:34 -0400, Francis Swasey wrote:
> > Absolutely.  I use NFS to mount the filesystems on my client and
> > OpenLDAP is my password file.  No problem with the two of them at all.
> > If you were not requesting information about if they have a bad
> > interaction, perhaps a more direct question about exactly what you are
> > trying to do would get a better answer.
>
> I assumed he meant 'authenticated/secure NFS' (an NFSv4 thing),  which
> I've only ever seen with Kerberos V.  And if you have Kerberos why not
> use AFS?  But he could mean something else entirely. :)

Yeah, we use OpenLDAP for passwd file information, with the actual
passwords being retrieved from our KDC, and the users home directories in
AFS.  It works great. ;)  Just a little PAM configuration and all is good...

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer