List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] Whither Mail Routing?
From:       jseymour () linxnet ! com (Jim Seymour)
Date:       2006-02-21 18:18:10

Looking for a bit of guidance.

Getting ready to integrate OpenLDAP  and my MTAs (mail transport
agents - aka: mail servers).  To that end, recalled a Sys Admin
article about integrating Sendmail and OpenLDAP:

    http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9936/sam0601a/0601a.htm

Looked-up the Postfix LDAP HowTo:

    http://www.postfix.org/LDAP_README.html

And examined a Mac OS X installation.

The SA article uses mailLocalAddress and mailRoutingAddress, stashed
in "People," which uses the username for the cn and the cn in the
dn.  (Whereas my "People" uses the uid attr for the dn and the cn
attr is a "firstname lastname" thing, rather than a username.)

The Postfix HowTo uses mailacceptinggeneralid and maildrop (from an
object class I haven't identified yet), stashed in something other
than People (which I have yet to identify).

The Apple OS X method is a "users" ou, which appears to be the same
thing as "People" usually is--even to the point where the cn is
"firstname lastname," the uid is username, and the dn uses the uid,
rather than the cn.  Mail routing doesn't appear to be in LDAP.

So...

Is there a "most common" or suggested way of organizing this data?
Right now I already have "addressbook" and "aliases" ou's.  ISTM the
mail routing ought to go in one of those, or perhaps in "People."
But if I put it in "People," that'll be three places email
information about a $corp user will be maintained.

It would *seem* that mailLocalAddress and mailRoutingAddress are the
attrs to use, as they're part of inetLocalMailRecipient, which would
appear to be an Internet-Draft "standard" for mail routing.

Comments?

TIA,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is
web form at <http://jimsun.linxnet.com/scform.php>.

---
You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [ldap@progressive-comp.com]