List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] Re: bulk delete?  [Virus checked]
From:       Peter Gietz <peter.gietz () daasi ! de>
Date:       2004-04-30 12:59:09

Norbert Klasen wrote:

> --On Donnerstag, 29. April 2004 19:46 +0200 Michael Ströder
> <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:
>
> > I vaguely remember that there are some vendors who have implemented
> > recursive deletion with custom extended LDAPv3 controls.
>

> e.g.: Active Directory supports a TREE_DELE control. see
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ldap/ldap/ldap_server_tree_delete_oid.asp> \
>

> Norbert

Yes and this control was documenetd in the IETF draft, Michael was
referring to. The last version of this draft is
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-armijo-ldap-treedelete-02.txt
from August 24, 2000. I think it would be worth it to continue work on
this since the server could very well implement a much more performant
tree delete than a recursive client could ever do - similiar is BTW true
for modifyDN operations on non-leaves. The above mentioned Draft IMHO
needs a number of enhancements, e.g. it should be possible (like in
Michael's web2ldap) to specify in the treedelete request whether the
delete should include the basedn entry of the subtree or not. The
respective response could include the number of deleted entries, etc.
Only because Active Directory implemented this very lightweight version
of treedelete, it does not mean that a future respective LDAPv3 standard
could not be a bit more elaborate.

My 2 cent,

Peter

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [peter.gietz@daasi.de]
> UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Peter Gietz (CEO)
DAASI International GmbH                phone: +49 7071 2970336
Wilhelmstr. 106                         Fax:   +49 7071 295114
D-72074 Tübingen                        email: peter.gietz@daasi.de
Germany                                 Web:   www.daasi.de

Directory Applications for Advanced Security and Information Management