List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] Antwort: RE: Antwort: with what should I replace nis?  [Virus
From:       denis.havlik () t-mobile ! at
Date:       2004-04-16 8:01:04

--=_alternative 002C0B44C1256E78_=

> Authentication with pam/ldap over ssl/tls is much slower than with ndis.
Even without ssl/tls it's slower.

My sugestion was to do authentication with kerberos, and authorisation
with LDAP. You can even do Kerberos authentication with NIS authorisation,
if that's more to your liking. LDAP is nice because it can be used for
authentication of other things, not just UNIX accounts, but this may be
irrelevant to you.

Isn't there some way to do what we need without pam?

Oh, I'm quite sure there is - write your own login stuff. Obviously this
means "nonstandard" and "lots of work" => I wouldn't recomend it even on
open systems where you have the complete code. On Irix it means even more
work...

---
You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [ldap@progressive-comp.com]
SUBJECT of the message.

--=_alternative 002C0B44C1256E78_=

face="Arial">Authentication with pam/ldap over ssl/tls is much slower than with ndis. \
Even without ssl/tls it's slower.</font> <br>
kerberos, and authorisation with LDAP. You can even do Kerberos authentication with \
NIS authorisation, if that's more to your liking. LDAP is nice because it can be used \
for authentication of other things, not just UNIX accounts, but this may be \
stuff. Obviously this means &quot;nonstandard&quot; and &quot;lots of work&quot; \
=&gt; I wouldn't recomend it even on open systems where you have the complete code. \
On Irix it means even more work...</font> <br>

---
You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [ldap@progressive-comp.com]