List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] Proper Commanline for ldapmodify
From:       Robert Canary <phantom () ohiocounty ! net>
Date:       2003-03-24 7:15:54

I am trying figure out away to check for a paticular object on ldap.
All I need to know is, if it exist...

So I ended up using ldamodify and rewriting a known value with the same
value in the record.  That way if the object dosen't exist I can trap
the ldamodify exit code and determin that, if it exits with "0" then I
know it exist.

I did my test with an ldif file (three lines), however, I am trying to
figure out how to do it *all* from a commanline.  According to the man
page I can put these attribute in on standin or using the -f (same as
with the ldapdelete, inwhich case I pass a list of dn:s seperated by a
single whitespace).

I can't seem to get the sytax right, because it keeps giving me the help
text...
and it obviously didn't help :-)

anyone how to make an ldapmodify entirely on one line??

thanks in advance
--
robert

---