List:       ldap
Subject:    [ldap] Re: Max length of 'description' attribute?
From:       Michael_Ströder <michael () stroeder ! com>
Date:       2002-11-14 10:37:47

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> 'description' has syntax 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15{1024}.
> Is that max 1024 octets, or max 1024 (multi-byte) UTF-8 characters?

RFC 2252, 4.3.2.

    A suggested minimum upper bound on the number of characters in value
    with a string-based syntax, or the number of bytes in a value for all
    other syntaxes, may be indicated by appending this bound count inside
    of curly braces following the syntax name's OBJECT IDENTIFIER in an
    Attribute Type Description.  This bound is not part of the syntax
    name itself.  For instance, "1.3.6.4.1.1466.0{64}" suggests that
    server implementations should allow a string to be 64 characters
    long, although they may allow longer strings.  Note that a single
    character of the Directory String syntax may be encoded in more than
    one byte since UTF-8 is a variable-length encoding.

But frankly, you can stop thinking about it. {1024} in the example above is
the "suggested minimum upper bound" for this attribute type. It is almost
meaningless and simply ignored by most LDAP client and server applications.

I'd suggest to review the thread 'Get rid of "suggested minimum upper
bound"' in mailing list archive of ietf-ldapbis.

Ciao, Michael.

---
You are currently subscribed to ldap@umich.edu as: [ldap@progressive-comp.com]