List:       ldap
Subject:    Re: newbie question
From:       "David Chadwick" <d.w.chadwick () zetnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       1998-02-28 16:58:11

> Date:          Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:38:31 -0500 (EST)
> From:          "James H. Young" <sysjhy@gsu.edu>
> To:            Michael Simms <michael.simms@utoronto.ca>
> Cc:            ldap@umich.edu
> Subject:       Re: newbie question

James,
Your analysis made very interesting reading. Its hardly surprising
really that the different vendors create different filters, and that
no-one really knows what the ideal filter is. Heck, Paul Barker of
UCL spent his entire PhD on studying the types of queries that users
input, and how the best results could be gained from using different
filters and different approximate matching algorithms (Soundex did
not come out too good, you might be surprised to learn). His entire
PhD thesis is on line at:

    ftp://cs.ucl.ac.uk/dirpilot/pbthesis/

I suggest you download a copy and read it if your are interested -
more than that, I suggest that the Netscape and Microsoft system
engineers download it and read it, then we might get even better
search filters created.

David
David Chadwick
IT Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 370 957 287
Email D.W.Chadwick@iti.salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm