List:       launchd-dev
Subject:    [launchd-dev] SUMMARY: Can a launchd job get any access to its invoking plist?
From:       Norman Gray <norman () astro ! gla ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2013-12-23 22:12:21

On 2013 Dec 4, at 17:03, Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk> wrote:

> Can a launchd job get any access to its invoking plist?

(I realise I should have followed this up with the list)

This appears to be broadly possible in fact, but the interface discussed (and \
described in Apple's SampleD sample code) is apparently documented nowhere other than \
in this sample code, and also possibly in Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach \
(Amit Singh, http://osxbook.com, thanks to Mitchell J Laurren-Ring for pointing this \
out).

Also, it is actually catering to, and specific to, the case where an application \
wants to check in to get access to a launchd-created socket, so (on further \
investigation) it doesn't actually work in the case I'm interested in.

Put together, I'm left with the feeling that, while the behaviour I want seems \
possible, and while I think it's neater in this case than passing more state in \
environment variables, the API to support such behaviour is, if not deprecated, than \
at least somewhat discouraged, and at any rate not idiomatic.

For completeness, I've created an enhancement request (15720781) for something like \
this to be supported, with a pointer back to the discussion here (who knows, I \
speculate this may even find its way back to you, Damien!).

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

All the best,

Norman

--