List:       lartc
Subject:    Re: [LARTC] pointopoint flag
From:       Guy Van Den Bergh <guy.vandenbergh () pandora ! be>
Date:       2001-03-25 21:34:18

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:29:30PM +0200, Guy Van Den Bergh wrote:
>

> > Even if you have a crossconnect cable between two hosts or routers, the medium \
> > inbetween is still broadcast and not point-to-point.
> >
> > I know this discussion is going way too far into semantics, but as far as I know \
> > there is no such thing as point-to-point mode of ethernet.
>

> You can disable arp and set static arp entries. Do that, plus a crossover cable
> and full-duplex, and I'd have a very hard time calling your ethernet
> anything but point-to-point. :)

The point was that it is a lot more complex than simply adding a route
to the device instead of to the nexthop.
Let's remember that ethernet is by nature a broadcast medium and if you
want it to behave like a point-to-point link you will have to be
careful. Adding static arp entries has some drawbacks which you do not
have on real point-to-point links.
In the end you are still trying to let a broadcast medium behave like a
point-to-point link. Nothing more and nothing less.

Guy