List:       lartc
Subject:    Re: [LARTC] QoS HTB burst and cburst parameters-FLEX
From:       "Martin A. Brown" <martin () linux-ip ! net>
Date:       2006-10-05 0:56:53

Greetings Jon,

 : Does anyone know what the burst and cburst parameter do?

Consider the burst parameter the bucket used until an HTB class is
transmitting at its rate.

Consider the cburst parameter the bucket used when an HTB class is
transmitting at or above rate, but below ceil.

 : * I see a lot of different definitions on the web.  It seems like
 :   burst is the number of bytes sent before serving other
 :   queues/classes.  So if burst was 1000 bytes and class rate was
 :   100kibit per second.  It would send 1000 bytes each time the
 :   scheduler service that queue to a rate of 100 kbit per second?

Here's how I would succinctly describe the interrelationships
between burst, quantum, cburst and the scheduling algorithm:

  A given leaf class is transmitting below rate
  Each time our leaf class has the opportunity to dequeue
  packets, it will dequeue as many packets as possible until
  it reaches burst.

  A given leaf class is transmitting above rate
  Each time our leaf class has the opportunity to dequeue
  packets, it will dequeue quantum packets and yield its turn
  to the next class.  This prevents a single class from
  starving its sibling classes for borrowing from the parent.

 : Also does anyone know how the burst and cburst parameters are
 : configured by default?

This, I cannot answer for you.  You may find my longer description
of the borrowing model and HTB in general useful [0], and in
particular, the diagram may be helpful for visualizing the system,
however, for your needs I would recommend that you study the results
that Stef Coene posted several years ago on the use of burst and
cburst [2].

Best of luck,

- -Martin

 [0] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Traffic-Control-HOWTO/classful-qdiscs.html#qc-htb