List:       lartc
Subject:    Re: [LARTC] Dynamic Linux Traffic Control
From:       Andy Furniss <lists () andyfurniss ! entadsl ! com>
Date:       2006-06-26 12:53:37

Paul wrote:
> Hey all, heres my problem/s.
>
> I have to write code which upon a message from another component
> 1. Reserves bandwidth for a voip call between 2 hosts.My code will
> reside on
> neither of the hosts but the hosts will have to go through me to talk to
> eachother.
>
> 2. Since i'm reserving bandwidth for these hosts to talk to eachother i
> have
> to limit everything else.
>
> 3. I need to do this on-the-fly. i.e > I may recieve a request for several
> calls, i need to remove the traffic control when a call is ended and i need
> to keep limiting all other traffic to give each call its own defined amount
> of bandwidth.
>
> I have being pulling my hair out trying to do the above with tc, so can
> anyone help ? Is tc filters the best solution ? Is there anything else
> thats
> more dynamic ?

As long as you have enough bandwidth for the calls then just setting
htb/hfsc up to give prio/guarantees to voip will reserve the bandwidth
- and let other traffic use it when voip traffic is not present.

If you are shaping ingress from the wrong end of the bottleneck you will
need to sacrifice bandwidth to get control.

Andy.