List:       lartc
Subject:    RE: Re: [LARTC] question about correct way of shapping
From:       Paulo Ricardo Bruck <pauloric () contato ! com ! br>
Date:       2005-04-08 12:14:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Em Sex, 2005-04-08 ās 11:06 +0200, lartc-request@mailman.ds9a.nl
escreveu:
Hy people and Corey

> You might have come across documents describing ingress shaping, which
> deals with traffic coming into an interface rather than the usual
> methods of shaping traffic as it leaves an interface.

Yes a lot of documents including lartc..8)

>  For a router setup, like yours, ingress shaping is unnecessary
> because all traffic
> (except a little bit for the router itself) can be shaped normally as
> it
> leaves one interface or the other.
>
> To shape upstream traffic, attach a qdisc to your Internet-side
> interface; to shape downstream traffic, attach a qdisc to your
> LAN-side
> interface.

all right . Let me insert more details about it. ( sorry I started w/ a
single scenario just to understand things easier )

> >                    <--- up 128K          __________
> internet ---- dsl -------------------eth1 -Linux Qos- eth0 --- LAN
> >                   ---> down 450k         ----------

At Linux Qos I have:
debian sarge ( iptables + squid + ntop + psad + apache (only for
reports) + acid + snort)

Sometimes I use 2 links to ISP ( providing load balance)
BTW nice work at lartc. w/ this session about it. 80)

It means that at Linux QoS I have not only linux as a router, but Linux
serving some applications and QoS too.

Again sorry for make things not so clear at my first e-mail.

Then should I use only  TC + iptables ?

--
Paulo Ricardo Bruck - consultor