List:       lartc
Subject:    Re: [LARTC] newbie: TC[NG] with (256kbit/s down and 768kbit/s up) on a router
From:       Christian Parpart <cparpart () surakware ! net>
Date:       2004-04-28 8:42:11

On Monday 26 April 2004 10:01, Andy Furniss wrote:

> >>I know nothing about TCNG so can't help there.
> >>
> >>You can shape ingress without using IMQ as long as you have just one LAN
> >>interface and don't care about traffic headed for the shaping PC. You
> >>just shape on the LAN interface.
> >
> > But *how* does such a setup now looks like, either in tcng or in gc
> > syntax?
> >
> > This is what I actually do:
[...zap...]

> > This is my script. And I do not really now, *where* to differ
> > here to once shape down-stream, and once to shape the up-stream
> >
> > I'd be really really very happy, if someone would point
> > me in this *wrong* script to the right direction.
>
> You have to set you rates lower than your real rates - for ingress about
> 80% so you actually get queues growing that you can control. For egress
> about 85% with dsl as there are extra overheads and TC counts IP size.

thx.

> You should be shaping on eth0 if that's your LAN facing interface - you
> shape egress from the shaping box to the LAN to do ingress (on simple
> setups). The src IP match needs to change to dst.
>
> As it is the script may have too big queues - but should work as a test,
> you may also endup wanting to split interactive traffic from bulk to
> make things nicer for users - but that sort of thing is policy to be
> thought about/agreed by users.

This is all nice, but, I'd be happy to see some *working* example code. That's
why I posted my *wrong* setup, possible to point me to the right direction,
by showing me, *what* I did wrong.

Could someone show me some simple example code for incress+egress shaping for
ppp0 (for a router with clients at eth0)?

thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.