List:       lartc
Subject:    Re: [LARTC] CBQ weight Prioritizing
From:       Stef Coene <stef.coene () docum ! org>
Date:       2004-03-28 15:33:39

On Saturday 27 March 2004 15:51, lartc wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I'm curious about the weighting in CBQ, if i have these classes in my CBQ
> script, will it work as I expect it to, or are there drawbacks? I am
> already using HTB for the moment so don't tell me to use that, this is
> simply something I want to know. =)
>
> tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:10 cbq bandwidth 10Mbit rate
> 10Mbit weight 0.3Mbit prio 1 allot 1514 cell 8 maxburst 20 avpkt 1000 tc
> class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:11 cbq bandwidth 10Mbit rate 10Mbit
> weight 0.3Mbit prio 1 allot 1514 cell 8 maxburst 20 avpkt 1000 tc class add
> dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:12 cbq bandwidth 10Mbit rate 10Mbit weight
> 0.2Mbit prio 1 allot 1514 cell 8 maxburst 20 avpkt 1000 tc class add dev
> $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:13 cbq bandwidth 10Mbit rate 10Mbit weight
> 0.1Mbit prio 1 allot 1514 cell 8 maxburst 20 avpkt 1000 tc class add dev
> $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:14 cbq bandwidth 10Mbit rate 10Mbit weight
> 0.05Mbit prio 1 allot 1514 cell 8 maxburst 20 avpkt 1000 tc class add dev
> $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:15 cbq bandwidth 10Mbit rate 10Mbit weight
> 0.05Mbit prio 1 allot 1514 cell 8 maxburst 20 avpkt 1000
>
> I'm allowing all my CBQ classes to use full speed (10Mbit) if they can,
> controlled only by my weight ratios, note that the priority is the same for
> all, which in effect is what I hope will make this work. So the first entry
> will thus be given a 3 mbit "minimum" speed as I give it weight ratio 0.3.
> I'm trying to get CBQ to behave somewhat more like HTB with this script
> with its rate and ceil commands.
>
> Well I'm curious will this actually work as I intend it to?
I don't know.  I did some cbq tests myself (the results can be found on
docum.org).  I only know that Devik told me that weight is used to calculate
some sort of quantum.  That means that weight is only used AFTER each class
is able to send his rate.  So in your case, that means weight will never be
used.

Stef

--
stef.coene@docum.org