List:       lartc
Subject:    [LARTC] Load Balancing when both end are Linux - can anyone help me?
From:       Derek Sims <derek () interdart ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-03-27 12:56:49

Hello,

I know this sounds like a FAQ question, but please read on....

I wish to set up dual load balanced ADSL connections such that the
Client end can achieve something like full capacity of both connections
with for example a single FTP transfer. i.e the Client should perform as
though he had bandwidth of 2*ADSL bandwidth.

The objective is to provide as near as possible double the single
channel capacity with automatic degrade if one channel fails.

I control both ends ( Client ADSL + I have a Linux server on the ISP
ADSL platform)

Each ADSL will have a static IP assigned, and I have a block of IP
addresses that can be routed via the ISP end Linux Server.

I had in mind something like this:

                           |   adsl1 ---------   | ISP ADSL
Client: BondedIP |                            | ---------------|  Linux
Server | --------Internet
                           |   adsl2 ---------   |

Run a tunnel  between Client and Linux Server with BondedIP assigned to
the client (Hopefully this would fix any packet ordering problems?)
Balance the tunnel over adsl1 and adsl2 using teql? at both ends

Internet side Route to Bonded IP would be via Linux Server
Client side default route would be via Linux server

Linux server needs to support multiple clients simultaneously ( at least
32 to be viable)

Client side is likely to be LEAF in embedded box or stock Linux dist
Linux Server is preferrably stock Linux (RH or similar)

Has anyone done this before?
Can anyone offer me some direct assistance in setting this up? (There is
a small amount of funding available to pay for successful solution.)

TIA
Derek