List:       lartc
Subject:    [LARTC] Re: tc filter protocol arp question
From:       Alexander Clouter <alex-lartc () digriz ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-01-31 21:19:58

On Jan 31, lartc@pro-technica.com wrote:

> I manage lan network with more that 1000 home users. Every user have
> iptables/tc pairs for marking packets/traffic limiting. Entire network
> operate via dhcp. If I miss only one user from shaper then his traffic
> going to default class. This class must have very low rate ( abount 1Kbit
> ). There going dhcp conversation. If missed user start to download, entire
> network lose dhcp server becouse of dropped packets.

I know see your needs, however could I offer an alternative solution.  DHCP
relays, put them on certain IP addresses and then mark their IP's for high
priority traffic, this can be put in the same band along with ssh traffic and
classed as 'core network traffic' or something fancy.

This probably would help you no end and give you the flexiblilty to do other
things later down the road.

> So I really need to give dhcp server priority. I thing that 512Kbit is over
> that enough to satisfy about 500 winbozes, powered on in ten minutes
> period. ( This is not a joke, I see that nightmare every evening... )

hmmmmm tasty :)

> Such a rule 'tc filter add dev eth0 protocol arp flowid ... ' i see in
> lartc.org and somewhere in mailing list. But this don't work on my linux (
> RedHat Advanced Server 3 ).

well after my comment about shaping ARP packets, I was looking for things on
a completed unrelated note and stumbled across something in the FAQ[1].

[1] http://www.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/faq/cache/63.html

have fun

Alex

/ You may be marching to the beat of a   \
| different drummer, but you're still in |
\ the parade.                            /
        \   ^__^
                ||----w |
                ||     ||