List:       lartc
Subject:    Re: [LARTC] tc filter protocol arp question
From:       Alexander Clouter <alex-lartc () digriz ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-01-31 17:11:59

On Jan 31, lartc@pro-technica.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to shape dhcp requests, but filter rule don't work. My script is:
>
> [snipped]

I really think you have other problems if you need to shape DHCP requests and
their responses.  If we overlook the logistical part (QoS under linux only
see's IP packets iirc, and so ARP packets are invisible) and look at what you
are trying to achieve.

QoS you should seen as a way of saying "this group of packets can arrive
'later' without really any effect" or "these packets should arrive as soon as
possible".  DHCP does not have realtime requirements, hell I could not care
if it takes 2 seconds to renew my DHCP lease or 10 seconds.  If you do worry
about things then consider a large lease time or better still look at what
traffic is on your network and reduce it; Windoze NetBIOS is a common thing
that can affect large networks.

I am unsure why _anyone_ would want to prioritise DHCP traffic, it operates
over an unreliable protocol and is built to try to obtain an IP address over
a period of 30 seconds; if you cannot get a DHCP lease in that time (even on
a congested network) then you have other problems which should probably be
addressed in manner other than QoS.

Obviously we would like to help, but we are unsure why you would want to do
such a thing, "Its damn right crazy man!" :)

Regards

Alex

--
< All's well that ends. >