List:       lartc
Subject:    Re: [LARTC] QOS and gameserver lags
From:       Stef Coene <stef.coene () docum ! org>
Date:       2003-08-25 17:25:39

On Monday 25 August 2003 12:42, Tom Verbeek wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have experimented some time now with HTB queues, and have received
> a lot of help from this list, especially from Stef. Thank you.
>
> My currect Shaper looks like this:
> http://www.designobjekt.de/test/rc.trafficshaper
>
> Unfortunately I still experience lags of this type:
>
> -players from the internet playing on my server feel lags
> -I feel lags when I play on a different server on the internet
>
> How can I find out what are the real reasons for lagging packet
> transport? Maybe its CPU performance of my router, maybe its the
> bandwidth, maybe its my provider...
>
> Any ideas on this will be greatly appreciated!
Can you check the bandwidth used in the different classes?  I have a script on
www.docum.org that can do this for you.  I ask this because you have
different prio's and you have to be sure you never overlimit a class (send
more then the rate) or the latency can go up.

You also have to check the quantum values.  For the 10 kbit class, quantum =
10kbit / 8 (bit -> byte) / 10 (r2q) = 12.5 byte and this < mtu = 1500 byte.
So add quantum 1500 if you create that class.

You can also try to add a fifo qdisc to the classes and not a sfq qdisc.
Especially for the 2:0 qdisc.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org