List:       lartc
Subject:    Re: [LARTC] howto equalize two uplink?
From:       "William L. Thomson Jr." <support () obsidian-studios ! com>
Date:       2003-03-28 18:40:43

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 02:41, Kertész Viktor wrote:
> > Without proto static if one of the gateways is a PPP connection or PPPOE
> > then that gateway will be removed if the connection goes down.
> I haven't patched the kernel with dead gateway detector patches. Links
> are stable. I can manually modify config if a line drops.

I think Julian's other patches for multipath routing also address the
proto static issue. I could be wrong.

> > With PPP or PPPOE connections it can be a must if you want to routes to
> > remain until the connection is restored.
> I see. But what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Good question. That someone else will have to answer. I did not work
with PPP or PPPOE connections directly. My routers took care of that
before the Linux router.

> My problem is that the connections are not shared as i expected. Traffic
> on line one is 3 times greater than on line two (after a day testing). I
> think i made a mistake. Or there is something with this proto static.

I do not think it has to do with proto static. In fact if I remember
things correctly. Without the patches proto static does not work
properly. Meaning proto static is the same as not having proto static.

As for the load not being balanced. Are you using the equalize flag
along with the weights?  I would try that and see what you get.

FYI, it's very hard to tell if the multipath thing is working with a
single machine, single user. Usually you will need multiple users, and
multiple machines to see things working the way you expect them to.

It is possible the Linux router is doing it's job. It is also possible
the router is not doing it's job.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell. Although once you get things dialed in
you will know.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.