List:       lartc
Subject:    Re: [LARTC] UPDATE: Re: [LARTC]Some QoS and PPPoE q's...
From:       Mattt <mattt () above ! nq4u ! net>
Date:       2002-09-29 8:54:47

Alrighty... I seem to have gotten to the bottom of the oops dilemnas...
I was attaching the qdiscs to ppp0 - I've now (for the last 15-odd
minutes) got them attached to eth3 (the interface the DSL device is
attached to) and all seems well (although there's not enough traffic
right now to see how it's working...).

So that just leaves my other question...

To re-iterate, I have a Billion modem - these little guys are rather
feature-rich, and said features are configured via a web interface. I've
disabled all the routing, etc in the device, and set it to bridge mode,
so I can use PPPoE on the Linux router to which it's attached (for
shaping and fw'ing). Owing to this, I am bringing up the interface
without an IP. This means I now, for instance, can't easily connect to
it from a workstation and, say, upload a new firmware...

There are other ways to go about it anyways (like attaching an IP to
eth3 on the router before I need to do such stuff to the Billion), but
it would be a lot handier to be able to connect anytime (there are also
some good line, etc, diags in the interface) without having to play
around.

So, my question - it all seems to work (the DSL connection, routing,
etc) when the interface *has* an IP, so it it important to *not* have
one? Will this react badly with QoS, etc (having said it worked, there
was no shaping running at the time)?