List:       lartc
Subject:    Re: [LARTC] Traffic Shaping
From:       bert hubert <ahu () ds9a ! nl>
Date:       2001-12-25 12:42:09

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:22:29AM +0000, Sahil Gupta - NET4U wrote:

> What we want to do is to ensure the packets flow through the Linux
> Gateway, so we have added 2 NIC's.  I can get it to the stage where the
> Linux future Gateway is to access the Net.  But when I assign 10.0.0.2 as
> the Gateway it doesn't work.  I don't know what sort of routing needs to
> be done on the Linux Gateway.

You may need to learn more about how routing works. The quick hint is
'tcpdump -e -n' which will show you where packets are destined, and to which
mac address.

If the Cisco is within the same subnet as the Linux machine, and the Linux
machine knows this, it will send out an ICMP Redirect telling your customers
to go to the Cisco directly.

Regarding your other message, I meant this HOWTO ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bert.

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
http://www.tk                              the dot in .tk