List:       l7-filter-developers
Subject:    [l7-filter-developers] can l7-filter distinguish protocol uploads
From:       Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo () wpkg ! org>
Date:       2007-12-20 17:28:40

As we all know, almost any network activity is a two-way traffic when we
look at IP packets.
So, anyone downloading a new kernel is essentially sending packets, too.

Now, is it possible to distinguish "uploads" from "downloads" with
l7-filter?

For example, can l7-filter distinguish if someone is downloading a file
or uploading it using bittorrent? Or SSH: distinguish if we connect
somewhere, or if "somewhere" is connecting to us?

Perhaps not for all protocols, but for some?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org