List:       l7-filter-developers
Subject:    Re: [l7-filter-developers] Regarding a l7-filter performance analysis
From:       Matthew Strait <quadong () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2006-02-09 16:04:11

> We're 3 students doing a report on l7-filter performance for our masters
> degree. We have access to several computers and routers for this test
> and was hoping that you guys could give us some suggestions for a
> possible test setup and what type of performance that can give a good
> result?

Well, if you want to know how l7-filter performs on real networks, the
best test would be the one that sends traffic through it that is as much
like real network traffic as possible.  Ideally you'd want a live mirrored
version of your university's traffic:

{ University network }===={ University gateway }==={ Internet }
                                 [Your box]

There have been several discussions here and a HOWTO written on our
website about how to set such a thing up.

My guess is that you will not be able to get permission to do this.  You
could also try to do it with just one dorm or your department (although I
think departmental traffic will be too well behaved to be a good test; not
a lot of P2P).

The next best thing, I think, would be if you could get a detailed
breakdown of what real traffic consists of and then attempt to duplicate
that environment on a small scale.  So set up something like this:

[computer 1]\                               /[computer 4]
[computer 2]---------[l7-filter box]---------[computer 5]
[computer 3]/                               \[computer 6]

and arrange for the computers to saturate the network with (and here I am
going to make up some random numbers) 60% Bittorrent traffic, 20% HTTP,
10% Gnutella, and a smattering of other things.

> By the way, are there any good reports on this subject today?

Not that I have heard of.  I'd love to read yours when it's completed.

-matthew