List:       l7-filter-developers
Subject:    Re: [l7-filter-developers] Ventrilo
From:       Matthew Strait <quadong () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2006-01-07 19:32:50

> Now on to ventrilo (ver. 2.3.0 on winxp sp2). They seem to use TCP
> (different ports). Captures below (data parts only).
>
> They seem to encrypt their data, but matching seems possible (either
> using the starting bytes of the client and/or some of the responses
> early bytes).
>
> Any thoughts about this?

The \x56\x24\xcf does seem constant, as does the initial \x00.  My tests
show the same thing.  I tried changing various server settings around,
including its name, its ping settings, and its codec. None of that changed
these bytes. So it seems that are pretty safe using the pattern:

^..?\x56\x24\xcf

I'll put that in the next release.

-matthew

PS.  The ventrilo guys are in *serious* need of these comics:
http://angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif
http://angryflower.com/plural.gif
http://angryflower.com/itsits.gif