List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Master moves to Qt 6 this Wednesday
From:       Ingo =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2023-09-12 7:57:58

On Dienstag, 12. September 2023 00:44:20 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dilluns, 11 de setembre de 2023, a les 23:44:01 (CEST),
> christoph@cullmann.io va escriure:
> > On 2023-09-11 21:42, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > Nothing else is broken but kate (this is my past 3 weeks status report
> > > speaking, current point in time may be different), so no you're not
> > > responsible to fix all global CI breakeages, you're responsible of
> > > fixing kate
> > > CI.
> >
> > that is not very fair and if the CI is disabled build failures will
> > creep in.
>
> CI job is still there so no build failure will creep in, it's only that
> Windows/Qt6 failing tests are not considered a fail anymore, so basically
> the same status as before but now it's marked as passing instead of
> failing.

Maybe you notice failing tests in green jobs. I certainly don't. For me
passing CI means everything is alright including all automatic tests.

On the other hand, I do agree that unstable tests are highly annoying
especially for "external" contributors who don't know about them and try to
figure out if they did something wrong in their MR.

And then there are tests that start failing for no apparent reasons in the
project because they are caused by external changes, e.g. upstream ABI
breakages. A project maintainer has little to no influence on this and I agree
with Christoph that it's unfair to blame the project and its maintainers for
this. There's no good solution for this, but failing CI hopefully at least
keeps those cases on the maintainers' radars.

> Once the tests are passing again the change can be put back to consider
> Windows/Qt6 failing tests a failure of the job.

I have prepared a draft MR for this, so that we can more easily see when the
tests are passing again:
https://invent.kde.org/utilities/kate/-/merge_requests/1298

Regards,
Ingo