On Freitag, 14. Januar 2022 22:55:38 CET Christoph Cullmann (cullmann.io) wrote:

> On 2022-01-14 22:52, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > Hi,

> > (I know we had similar discussion a few years ago already).

> > I'd like to split the "Search in current file" into a separate

> > plugin/tab.

> > For "in current file", less options would be required.

> > All the "advanced" options are not necessary, so also the button to

> > toggle

> > between options and results is not necessary, and always the results

> > would be

> > visible.

> > The "Search" buttin, the "Use current documents folder" button, the

> > mode

> > combobox, the "Expand results" button, the "add new search tab" button

> > would

> > all not be necessary.

> > I would suggest that this would always search automatically when the

> > search

> > text is modified, without maximum file size.

> > I would also suggest that it searches automatically when switching to a

> > different file, i.e. always the search results for the current search

> > string

> > in the current file would be visible.

> > Together with this, I would suggest to remove the "In current file"

> > search

> > mode from the normal "Search and Replace", and also disable the

> > automatic

> > search in the current file when typing. To me, this would actually be

> > better

> > than it is now, since the automatic searching quite often dismissed my

> > search

> > results, while I actually wanted to keep them.

> > What do you think ?

> I am not sure about this.

> This would make the "standard" in document search even more duplicated

> with the plugin.

> But perhaps others see this differently.

> My normal working pattern is:

> 1) for in document searches just using the search/replace of KTextEditor

> view

> 2) use the Kate level search plugin only for project wide searches

> Perhaps others use it more like you, for both use cases.

I also use both.

What I don't like about Ctrl+F, is that it immediately jumps to the first match as soon as I start typing, i.e. I loose "focus". Also it doesn't show me how many matches there are in the document.

Actually I use Ctrl+F more as a "go to"-function, not to "learn" something about a file.

If I want to see how often/where/how some text appears in the document, the in-current-file search of Search&Replace is more convenient. My cursor stays where it is in the file and it gives my an overview over the matches in this file.

Alex