List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: KTextEditor::SearchInterface
From:       Thomas Friedrichsmeier <thomas.friedrichsmeier () ruhr-uni-bochum ! de>
Date:       2015-04-24 19:56:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 15:11:12 +0200
Milian Wolff <mail@milianw.de> wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2015 20:28:40 Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> > providing a multi-window search bar - across several ktexteditor
> > windows, but possibly also html windows, etc. - is one of the things
> > that I have on the wanna-implement-some-day list for RKWard. Not
> > having to worry about the search itself would clearly help. (Now
> > imagine, we'll have a generic KSearchBar widget to go with this,
> > one day...)
>=20
> You "just" need to implement support for Kate plugins in RKWard and
> then you'd get the Kate search plugin for free which supports all
> this, no? With a SearchInterface you'd still need to reimplement the
> widgets etc. pp. which is not necessary with the plugin approach.

Yes, supporting Kate plugins is another thing that I'd like to figure
out one day... But actually, we have many different types of windows in
RKWard, and I already have a custom search bar widget for one of those
(for searching in KWebView windows). What I'd really like to do is
to use the same search bar for search in _both_ KWebView and Kate
windows (and spreadsheet windows, and, possibly, plots).

Also, of course, we might want to have more specialized search features,
eventually. E.g. finding where a specific symbol in the object tree is
referenced in a script. Having a ready-made SearchInfterface will make
implementing such things just a small bit easier to accomplish.

Regards
Thomas