List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Spell checking in KF5 Kate
From:       Michel Ludwig <michel.ludwig () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-04-05 9:10:01

Hi Kåre,

On 04/05/2015 06:33 AM, Kåre Särs wrote:
> On Thursday 02 April 2015 16:38:42 Alexander Zhigalin wrote:
>> Can't we continue to use KConfig until Sonnet is more mature?
>> This is a big problem, we can't use KConfig because we're over it and we
>> can't use Sonnet because it's still too unmature. We cannot really expect
>> user to wait 2 minutes each time he is opening a project with only 100
>> files. Can we save settings, maybe, in ~/.kde/share/config writing directly
>> to a file?
>
> I think you misunderstood me. Sonnet is not immature it just does not use
> KConfig as it used to-> we have to find a way to read/write/set/get the Sonnet
> settings. The question is what is best way?
> I think I start to lean towards adding a settings API to Sonnet (if it gets
> accepted there)
>
> Do we really need to read the global Sonnet settings for every file we open?
> Probably not. But where is the proper place to optimize? Just commenting out
> the reading of the settings without knowing how it works is probably not the
> right thing to do ;)

As far as I know, 'm_speller.restore()' will re-read all the
dictionaries and initialise Sonnet again. I guess it is sufficient to
call this method only when something in the configuration dialog is
changed (like modifying the list of ignored words), and not when opening
a file.

But in general, I think that adding a settings API to Sonnet is a good idea.

Michel