List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: New search dialog
From:       Joseph Wenninger <jowenn () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-05-21 6:09:13

> Am 20.05.2014 um 22:19 schrieb Heiko Tietze <heiko.tietze@user-prompt.com>:
>
> > On Tuesday 20 May 2014, 21:55:47 Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > Because "Find All" is ATM infeasible for LARGE files, as it takes for ever...
> > Because you normally reiterate what you search for and often you search...
> Good points!
>
> I tried with a text file of 25MB with 700k lines. It takes about a second to
> find a string (okay, my computer is pretty fast). Some ideas: a) Apply
> highlighting only within the narrow lines, let's say +- 1000. And re-search on
> scrolling.

In some way we do this for syntax highlighting

> b) Do highlighting by default for small files only, and use the
> conventional method for large files (supposed we find an acceptable way to feed
> back what happens). I guess it's not common to edit large files in Kate.
>
> And for repeated search: a) How about making the dialog non-modal? You could
> have it parallel to the application.

I'm not sure (I'm using stable right now), did we remove multiple main windows in kf5 or do we still have \
it?

With multiple main windows and non modal dialogs I see the problem which window the dialog belongs to. \
Okay, the dialog could be marked as transient (at laest in x11) to one window.

Dialogs in the search case are trouble, if you fade out unfocused windows.

> b) The KDE way: make it optional. Perhaps
> I can bribe you with the perspective of more option in such a dialog... :-)

More options, bigger dialog -> always covers the area you want to look at.

Best Regards
Joseph Wenninger